Over the coming months I will be speaking about moving house and how to reduce the costs from hiring the right removal company, packing tips, the housing market and tips from doing it yourself to how to save money in the process.
Use moving house as an opportunity to sort out your personal property. Throw away your rubbish and separate items that can be given to friends or charity shops. Get boxes well in advance from local shops or supermarkets, and save newspapers for wrapping breakables. For more advice, take a look at our money saving tips. Remember the more boxes you have, the more your removal company could charge you.
- Gather packing supplies before you start.
- Packed boxes should weigh less than 50 pounds.
- Pack heavier items on the bottom.
- Place socks, scarves, pillow cases and other small fabric items in holes and crevices in boxes
- Make sure all boxes can close properly and be sealed so the tops are flat.
- Pack small items in small boxes and place them into a large box.
- Small, loose items should be boxed or bagged and sealed securely before placing into a larger box.
- If moving liquids, either transfer them into a sealable container or make sure the lid is secured by taping it down, then put it into a waterproof bag, seal the bag then place it upright into a box.
- Clearly mark the box with arrows and “This End Up”.
- Keep an inventory list of each box and its contents. This will be necessary if a box goes missing and you need to make a claim.
- Keep a box labelled “Load last, unload first” for the essentials you’ll need when you arrive.
- Tape down anything that moves
- Fill free spots with lighter linens.
- Tape screws, bolts and other loose items to underside of furniture. Make sure you bag them first.
- Know where the screwdriver is.
- Keep items from the same room together as much as possible.
If you would like a no obligation quote – please enquire here